Although we were never legally married we lived together for…

Customer Question
Although we were never...

Although we were never legally married we lived together for 15 years as husband and wife we were each other's wedding rings we called each other husband-and-wife, she tried to have me evicted from our home and when that didn't work she lied and an order of protection in order to get me out of the house and to keep from having to allow me to take any of the property in the house. When I joined this relationship 15 years ago I had my own furniture my own pots and pan my own electronics since then I've purchased many items that are in the home and I've been refused access to recover them is there anything I can do about this I am in the state of Michigan.

Lawyer's Assistant: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out.

I don't understand I explain the situation and ask one question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have not I just wanted to know if it was worth pursuing or if I had no option.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Except that I would like to get the PPO removed as there was nothing in it that was truthful. I can get many witnesses to the fact that no one had ever laid a hand on her there's never been any domestic calls from my home or any other disturbances

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
10/17/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Did she get a temporary order against you or has there been a hearing with a permanent one being issued?

.

Do you have proof of purchasing any of the items you want to retrieve that aren't clearly yours?

.

Have you been able to retrieve things that are clearly yours like clothing and other personal items?

.

.

thanks

Michigan
This was a temporary order but it prohibits me from collecting my things. I have basically been made homeless . I have been living in my car as I have no family alive and she has the house and all of the furnishings. Also there was no hearing she filled out a paper the clerk took it in the judge signed it.
I have proof that I items in the home were purchased by me, all of the televisions in the home the gas dryer that I just bought less than six months ago the bed that is up in the bedroom that we have used as a spare and all of the furniture that she's moved into the garage that belongs to me there also some furniture items a desk and chair that belong to my grandmother two end tables that also belong to my mother family photographs I am diabetic there are medical supplies in the house that I couldn't get out. Computer equipment that is in the blue bedroom that were used as an office for my business. As well As a printer

Just a minute...typing a response..

I have a child that lives in Canada and because of the PPO I get stopped by the border patrol and search when I cross. This is happened to me twice since August. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Ok, it sounds like she got an "ex parte" temporary order which is normally good for a limited time. An ex parte domestic relationship PPO is valid for at least 6 months. However, you can request a hearing to change, rescind, or cancel the PPO.

.

If you can't afford an attorney to help with filing a motion to cancel or modify it, you can contact your local Legal Aid office and they may be able to help or refer you to a low cost attorney to assist.

.

You can also file a motion with the court to get the judge to issue an order for a sheriff escort so you can retrieve your personal property from the dwelling..

.

.

thanks