I need advice on dealing with possible defamation. In short,

a colleague is going through...
I need advice on dealing with possible defamation. In short, a colleague is going through a divorce and her husband is accusing her of having an affair with me..which is not true. However, I'm an independent contractor for a large insurance company and my concern is that they would terminate my contract for this since there are customers complaining (friends of the husband who he has told). Can I or should I have an attorney send some sort of cease and desist letter to him? We live in Texas
10/17/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might also be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

.

And in answer to your question... in a word, YES. A cease and desist can be remarkably powerful in stopping behavior of this nature and it's a lot easier to send a letter to stop behavior than have to fight in court later about whether certain behavior caused you to lose your job.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Great, thank you! Is this something I can have done here or should I find a local attorney?

Your best bet is to find a local attorney and the best way to do that would be to contact the Texas state bar association. They have certified attorneys so you no you're getting someone legitimate. And please feel free to reach out to me if you need anything. You can reach me directly by putting FOR OLIVIA in the first line of your question.

Perfect. Thanks again!

My pleasure :-)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney