Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am looking for a Pennsylvania lawyer to answer these

questions:I am currently going through...
I am looking for a Pennsylvania lawyer to answer these questions:I am currently going through a divorce. My ex filed the divorce. I am disabled and have not worked in years. As such, he has been our sole income. I qualify for disability but the alimony my ex is currently paying me more than what I would receive from disability so my only income is alimony. Directly prior to his filing for divorce, he ran me over with his pickup truck. As I result, I suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung. Unfortunately, I did not press charges at the time because I still hoped to save the marriage. I experienced significant amount of abuse, documented by photos of bruises and police visits to our home. In addition, he cheated on me multiple times, including directly prior to and during our separate. He currently resides with his girlfriend. I am homeless and have no assets other than my car which I purchased after the separation.My questions are:1. Am I able to get permanent or lifetime spousal support from my ex? We have been married since July 1999, so for 18 years. I have heard that I may be eligible for permanent spousal support if we are married for at least 20 years. Is that true and if it is, is there a way to prolong the divorce proceedings to get us to 20 years?2. Along with spousal support, I want to know if I would be eligible for health insurance coverage under his insurance?3. Can I request that he reimburse me for my attorney fees since he filed for the divorce?4. He kept a truck and motorcycle that we purchased while married. At the time of our separation, there were loans on both. I do not know if there is still a loan balance on either. Is it a good idea for me to ask for half of the asset value of those assets or am I exposing myself to also taking on half of any debt outstanding on those assets?5. If I am eligible for lifetime/permanent spousal support, what happens when my ex retires? Am I eligible for anything he might have in a 401k?6. There is a utility bill incurred during our marriage for $2,200 that is unpaid. Can I request that he pay that bill?Thank you for your time.
10/17/2017
Michael Bradley

what county?

approximately how much does he make a year?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lancaster CountyAt the time of our separation, he was making $65,000/year before taxes.

1. it is possible that you could get permanent alimony but no guarantee

the 17 factors the court can consider in alimony:

1. The relative earnings of both spouses.
  2. The duration of the marriage.
  3. The ages and physical, mental and emotional states of the two spouses.
  4. The sources of income of both spouses. This includes medical, retirement, insurance or other benefits.
  5. The expected future earnings and inheritances of the two spouses.
  6. The degree to which one spouse has contributed to the other spouse’s education, training or increased earning potential.
  7. The degree to which a spouse will be financially affected by their position as the custodian of a minor child.
  8. The standard of living of the spouses established during the marriage.
  9. The relative education of the parties. This also considers the amount of time it would take for the spouse seeking alimony to acquire the education or training necessary to find employment.
  10. The relative assets and liabilities of the two spouses.
  11. The property each spouse brought to the marriage.
  12. The degree a spouse contributed as a homemaker.
  13. The relative needs of the two spouses.
  14. The marital misconduct of either of the spouses during the marriage. “Abuse” is in this context shall have the meaning given to it under Section 6102. (PFA)
  15. The federal, state and local tax consequences of the alimony.
  16. Whether the spouse seeking alimony lacks sufficient property to provide for their reasonable needs.
  17. Whether the spouse seeking alimony is incapable of supporting themselves through appropriate employment.

2. the court would allow healthcare to continue until the divorce is finalized, that is all that is allowed under federal law

you would be offered COBRA

3. the court can order that he pay your attorney fees, it is an ability to pay argument, both you to pay and him to pay yours

4. you can request a portion of the value of the assets but any loan would be factored in

5. if he has a 401(k) that would be a marital assets as well and subject to division at divorce

6. if he was there when the bill was incurred then you can ask that he is responsible for that bill as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To clarify regarding the 401k: The balance at the date of divorce would be subject to division between us? Nothing in the future, i.e. at the time of his retirement?If I were granted lifetime spousal support, is it truly lifetime or is it only until his retirement? Also, would that be impacted at all if I were to remarry in the future?Thanks!

from date of marriage to date of separation, nothing beyond

duration would be up to the court retirement could be seen as a change in circumstance and give him a reduction

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 25 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "Michael Bradley ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I were to remarry in the future, would I lose any/all spousal support?

normally, yes

remarriage or cohabitation with a member of the opposite sex is grounds to stop alimony

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

you are welcome

please rate my advice so I can get paid

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer