Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

One of my friends hacked his girlfriends email by guessing a

Hello, one of my friends...
Hello, one of my friends hacked his girlfriends email by guessing a password. What is the punishment if he is caught and should he get a defense attorney?
10/17/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

In what is state is your friend located?

Thank you for the information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Massachusetts

Thank you for the information.

What is the punishment if he is caught

Response 1: Up to two and half years in jail and not more than $3,000.00 in fine.

and should he get a defense attorney?

Response 2: Yes, if he is charged. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In your experience what is the average sentencing and what is the standard of evidence to be caught?

I have not had a client with the problem. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Phone call session started

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. I see that you requested a phone call - and I just tried to call you but the phone just rang. I'll be happy to call you again if you'll just come back on and let me know when would be a good time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Olivia I would prefer a text conversation since I cannot accept phone calls at this time

Sure. I can do that. I can also call you later if you'd prefer.

If you're looking for guidance on hacking - and cyber-crime generally you'll want to look at http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/cyber-crime-and-internet-safety/computer-and-online-privacy/hacking.html (in addition to, obviously, us talking).

The previous expert was absolutely correct regarding the Massachusetts sentences... but there's always a concern with any cyber crime regarding federal penalties.

Are they likely to be interested with someone's logging on to their girlfriend's account - possibly not - but it is a possibility.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My main question is what area of law would it be, it worth getting an attorney, and have there been any cases like that to your knowledge in the past?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to gauge what my next steps should be or if she has a case

It's worth getting an attorney if you're charged. Prior to that there's really no reason to get one.

You'll want a criminal attorney and preferably one that has experience with cyber crimes.

Sure, there are likely cases in every state. It depends upon each prosecutor though, as far as to what extent they pursue them.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great thank you, ***** ***** you 5 stars.

Thank you :) It's my pleasure. Please reach out of you need anything in the future. You can ask for me directly by putting FOR OLIVIA in the first line of your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney