The inmate has been paroled but still has a balance on a…

The inmate has been...

The inmate has been paroled but still has a balance on a court ordered restitution. Please advise how I can collect the balance from the restitution?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. What type of lawyer should I get?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much do you or the lawyer charge for my kind of situation?

10/16/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have two options.

First, you need to contact the probation and parole office, since they collect the restitution and just because they are on parole does not mean they no longer owe the money. The parole office is supposed to continue to seek to make them pay restitution as it is part of the court order and it would be a contempt of that court order for them to not pay.

Second, you can sue the defendant for damages in civil court and ask to get the civil court to award you damages and ask for garnishment of wages or seizure of their property to satisfy the judgment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

What kind/type of lawyer should I get?

Thank you for your reply.

You would use a general civil litigation attorney.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney