Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have medicaid and now was awarded ssdi. However, they also

gave me medicare and are...
I have medicaid and now was awarded ssdi. However, they also gave me medicare and are taking $130 for premium not for the prescriptions, but for one of the medical parts. Do you know if there is a way to get help to pay this or not need too because I already qualified for free medical under medicaid. Thanks
10/16/2017
John, Attorney

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Yes there is and you must apply though your state medicaid office. If you are eligible for Medicare and meet the income and asset eligibility requirements for the QMB program, your state's QMB program will pay all of your Medicare Part A and Part B premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance. Depending on how much you use Medicare-covered services in a year, this could mean a savings of up to several thousand dollars.

Income LimitsTo be eligible as a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB), your income must be no more than slightly above the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG), . This figure is established each year by the federal government; in 2017, the poverty level is $12,060 per year for an individual and $16,240 per year for a married couple. These figures are somewhat higher in Alaska and Hawaii. It’s important to know, however, that certain amounts of income are not counted in determining QMB eligibility. Particularly if you are still working and most of your income comes from your earnings, you may be able to qualify as a QMB even if your total income is almost twice the FPG. QMB follows the SSI guidelines on what income that should be counted, which means roughly half of your income from work is not counted. If, after applying these rules, the figure you arrive at is anywhere close to the QMB qualifying limit ($1,025 in monthly countable income in 2017), it is worth applying for it.Asset LimitsThere is a limit on the value of the assets you can own and still qualify as a QMB. While the limit is $7,280 for an individual and about $10,930 for a married couple, many assets, such as your house, your car, and certain personal and household goods, are not part of the resources that are counted. QMB follows the SSI guidelines for which assets are countable.If your income is slightly too high for you to qualify for QMB benefits, you may still be eligible for one of two other state medical assistance programs: Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB) or Qualifying Individual (QI). The resource limits for eligibility are the same as for a QMB, but the income limits are 20%–80% higher, depending on the program.If your counted monthly income—after the adjustments made in calculating income for SSI purposes—is under $1,226 for an individual, or $1,644 for a couple (in 2017), you are likely to qualify for SLMB support. (These figures go up slightly each year.)If your counted monthly income is under $1,377 for an individual, or $1,847 for a couple (in 2017), you are likely to qualify for QI support.Because the SLMB and QI programs are for people with higher incomes, they have fewer benefits than the QMB program. The SLMB and QI programs pay all or part of the Medicare Part B monthly premium, but do not pay any Medicare deductibles or coinsurance amounts. Nonetheless, this means potential savings of more than a thousand dollars per year.Before you can get coverage by the QMB, SLMB, or QI programs, you must file a written application separate from your Medicare application. If you are found ineligible for one program, you may still be found eligible for one of the others.Where to FileTo qualify for the QMB, SLMB, or QI programs, you must file a written application with the agency that handles Medicaid in your state—usually your county’s Department of Social Services or Social Welfare Department.Because eligibility for the QMB, SLMB, or QI programs depends on your financial situation, many of the documents you must bring to the Medicaid office are those that will verify your income and assets.Although a Medicaid eligibility worker might require additional specific information from you, you will at least be able to get the application process started if you bring:pay stubs, income tax returns, Social Security benefits information, and other evidence of your current incomepapers showing all your savings and other financial assets, such as bankbooks, insurance policies, and stock certificatesautomobile registration papers if you own a caryour Social Security card or numberinformation about your spouse’s income and separate assets, if the two of you live together, andmedical bills from the previous three months, as well as medical records or reports to confirm any medical condition that will require treatment in the near future. If you don’t have copies of these bills, records, or reports, bring the names and addresses of the doctors, hospitals, or other medical providers who are treating you.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Attorney
John, Attorney