I recently applied for Medicaid for my parents in. My

Hello, I recently applied for Medicaid...
I recently applied for Medicaid for my parents in Virginia. My parents are legal permanent residents and received their green cards in 2012. They are 70 and 74 years old. They have never worked in the US and have no income. Their application was denied, and the response referenced Virginia Medicaid Manual MO210.150, MO210.150c, MO130.300. The reason for denial is "Ineligible Alien Status". Prior to receipt of the letter I received a phone call from Fairfax County Dept of Social Services and was informed that my parents were denied Medicaid based on the fact that they don't have 10 years previous w work experience in the US. I questioned that reasoning and requested the appropriate reference in the manual. The person told me it would all be in the letter. As you can see the letter doesn't say anything about 10 year work history, instead it references the paragraphs by which my parents meet the eligibility 100% (I provided their alien status ## etc.). Please clarify. Thank you
10/16/2017
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

Here is what I have found out so far. In Virginia, you must have worked 40 quarters of qualified employment (10 years) to receive full Medicaid benefits. See https://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/bp/medical_assistance/manual_transmittals/transmittals/transmittal_95.pdf . See page 14c. Your parents are eligible for emergency Medcaid services. M0220.410 (Page 17). Were you seeking full Medicaid benefits or emergency bnefits for your parents?

Hi Edward, thank you very much for your response. I was seeking full benefits but I can see this is not possible. Apparently this is only in Virginia, since my friends in other states were able to get full benefits for their parents. Do I need to apply for emergency services as well or is this automatic ? If they have an emergency, the service will be provided ? Also, what should be the most appropriate affordable type of full benefits insurance in their situation? Thank you.
Lana

I am not really familiar with all the medical options available for your parents but I did find some resources that might help you:

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/bp/medical_assistance/intro_page/finding_affordable/finding_affordable_healthcare_9-25-13.pdf

https://www.eldercaredirectory.org/federal.htm

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/resources/locator_tool.html

I hope these may help you.

With respect to the Emergency Medicaid services, see this link:

http://www.mymedicare.com/medicaid/emergency-medicaid/

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Edward Young
OK thank you. Last question: I really would like to hire a professional attorney to figure out the best options and help with applications etc. What kind of attorney should I be looking for and if you have a recommendation that would be great of course

You want to find an elder law attorney.

Here are some links to elder care attorneys in Virginia:

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=✓&q=Elder+law&loc=Virginia&commit=Find+lawyers

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/elder-law/virginia

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “***** ***** only” in the first line of your question.