I am a foreigner and trying to establish a business here in…

Customer Question
Hi I am a foreigner...
Hi I am a foreigner and trying to establish a business here in the US. My friend had a promo for employees of leasing a car and he did. Can I be a co owner of the lease car since I'm the one who paid the full amount of 2 years lease
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/13/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you

with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, there is no requirement that you be a US citizen to lease the vehicle. You can be on the lease so long as you meet the requirements by the car's actual owner. Now, I know that is a short answer to your question, but I want to know what other questions you have regarding this.

My friend leased the car from a company promotion for employees. I suggested that I'll be a co leasee of the car ( since i paid it in full, 2 yrs lease) but he said it can't be done. I'm in New York

There is nothing that prevents you from being on the lease. did he agree originally that you could be on the lease in exchange for you paying for it?

He agreed that I will treat the car as my service car. I'm paying the insurance every 6 months which is under his name. I just want to be a co leasee so I can bring the car when I make clients calls in nearby states
He won't agree that I will be a co leasee when I suggested this to him
But I pay for everything

This appears to be a classic breach of contract because he agreed to put you on the lease to the car in exchange for your payments, but is not doing so. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request that a law office to prepare a breach of contract letter for your signature for a flat fee (usually around $250).. The law office includes any relevant legal citations and can email you a completed letter for your review within about 24-48 hours. You don’t even need to hire them to represent you.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

We didn't sign anything. It was all in verbal agreement. The amount paid to him was deposited in his bank account in my country. I told him, if I can't even bring this car for client call, I might as well return it. It can't be done, according to him because I already paid in full

Oral agreements are still enforceable. Currently, he's breaching the contract. Your citizenship status or where the money was put or how much was paid is notwithstanding. He's in breach of the agreement with you.

Can my name be in the lease contract when it was offered to BMW employees only?
He said it is not possible but I would rather have my name in it than he making it appear that I am borrowing his car

Perhaps. BMW's policy may prohibit more than one person from being on the lease. However, if this is the case, then your friend owes you back all of the money for the cost of the lease because your contract has become nullified due to this fact.