Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had a breach of contract with a venue, they did not want

to host my event again...
I had a breach of contract with a venue, they did not want to host my event again despite having a paid in full contract with them months prior to the event date---i want to take them to small claims court for the additional monies expended to have the event elsewhere but they are saying that the fact that they offered me the "inclement weather" indoor area instead they're off the hook, this isn't anywhere in the contract and there wasn't any bad weather it was a sunny day will they have legal standing on this in court?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?
Customer: Beaufort County South Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing filed as of yet I am compiling all my docs I tried to talk with them directly before getting the court involved but the general manager's boss basically said no to my additional expenses because they offered a joke of a backup space
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/12/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

How long is the call?
don't worry about it I'll stick with online

Unless the contract gives them the right to substitute venues without your consent, you have the right to demand they comply with the terms of the contract. Their offer of an alternative space is a breach of contract and you can sue them for damages in small claims court if the claim does not exceed $7500.

Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney