I was wondering how difficult it is to obtain copies of a…

I was wondering how...

I was wondering how difficult it is to obtain copies of a text thread that no longer shows up on my device

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, honestly it's for personal reasons but Verizon won't release them without a court order

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They were messages between a close friend of mine and I, he recently passed away on September 19th and I want them for sentimental reasons

10/11/2017
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend. I wish I could give you good news here, but unfortunately I cannot. Courts don't issue random court orders (subpoenas) demanding things of people or companies. Courts issue orders within the context of a case. Therefore, you would need to have an open case first (meaning you would have to file a lawsuit in which the content of the texts would be at all relevant). Then you could request the texts from Verizon. Obviously there is no case here, you simply want them to remember a dear friend, but regrettably, that's not possible.

Even if it were somehow possible to get a court order, cell phone companies don't often hold onto the actual content in messages for very long, because you're talking about millions and millions of messages a day. They can generally confirm that a conversation took place on a certain date, but not necessarily what was said.

I am truly, truly sorry.

Okay, thank you for the information. I appreciate your time.

My pleasure, I'm sorry the news couldn't be more positive.

Please be so kind as to remember to leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so is the ONLY way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and expertise. Thank you.

And again, my condolences.

RobertJDFL, Attorney