Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If you make a complaint to the police department. It gets

investgated and case closed Other than...
If you make a complaint to the police department. It gets investgated and case closed
Other than your official police report complaintIf there a report available with the findings for the victim? . Always? If so what is it called? Do they have a time frame to complete?
Can police department provide you with copies of meeting you had with Detective & chief of police & others?
10/11/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Please review my questions. I can wait

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

If I feel necessary to switch to phone call I will switch. However these questions are kinda general. At the moment

Thank you so much for your patience. Generally, the law doesn’t require that a report be available for the victim. Police records are often kept under seal because of the sensitive nature of the records and because many times those records will assist in subsequent investigations. Information such as arrests and bookings are often public record, but the actual reports by the police officers are usually not available without a subpoena by a court. You could always request these documents from the police department though. You can always ask the people in charge of the investigation if they would be willing to provide you this information. Keep in mind that these records are not like court records in that they are typically solely within the possession of the police department, so the nicer you ask, the more likely they are to give the information.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

You mean email the detective and ask for a report of findings? Because I have a meeting with the prosecutors.Detective told me if I'm not happy to meet with prosecutor. I have a meeting with the prosecutor. Two prosecutors actually.His report would say what verbally was said. No case because...
Or is there going to be more resistance since since I know have a meeting?

Correct. I would email the detectives and/or the prosecutors to see what they have. Sometimes, the prosecutor may be willing to share the information because it might help them get a conviction if that is what they are looking for. A prosecutor often needs all the help they can get from witnesses, victims, and anyone else that can help them put the person away. hat other questions did you have for me?

I have gone to the prosecutor myself. Prosecutors were not aware of my case. Detective made the decision to stop with him.
They were not happy that Detective didn't investigatate or were anaware of bias reasons not to investigate.
I feel uncomfortable asking for his findings. Will the Prosecutors ask for the findings?

Good question. It depends on whether the prosecutor is going to take the case. If they believe there is enough evidence to convict, they will probably request more information. Otherwise, they may not ask for anything else if they feel the chances to convict are low.

I have all the evidence. I presented it to prosecutors .explaining what law broken. This is the 2meeting. However I can't be the detective. Can and should the Prosecutors can contact the agency/Detective for findings? Or only if they decide to look into further?
Do you think a second meeting maybe favorable? If I didn't have a case they would have told me that day?

The prosecutors certainly can if they would like, but only should if they have reason to believe that there is a crime for which they could get a conviction. I think a second meeting may be favorable and if they didn't have a case, they should tell because they generally have a duty to protect people in the public such as yourself. D id you have any other questions for me today?

I was lucky enough to meet with two prosecutors.They were undecided at the time. Said never had they had a regular person come present a full case like I had to.I may ask the Prosecutors to please ask for the detective report of findings. If Detective won't release his findings in a report.
If I ask prosecutors to obtain report. Since there is a second meeting.
it's only fair to get a full picture correct?

I agree that it's only fair to get a full picture. Keep in mind they don't have a legal obligation to do so, but if you work with them as partners in getting justice, they are more willing to help out.

Thank you for your time. I just wasn't sure if police make a report of thier findings.
Kind of silly. But I will try to ask the Prosecutors to obtain.

You're welcome and it's not silly. Plus, the pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer