Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If you are a loan officer in the state of and the customer

If you are a loan...
If you are a loan officer in the state of Virginia and the customer gives you permission to sign the LE from a lock extension because they are at work and cannot get to a computer and it has to be signed so it does not hold up closing - is it acceptable to sign for the customer with their permission?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of
10/11/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, if you give someone permission to sign a legally significant document on your behalf, then the other person is acting as an authorized representative or “agent.” This means that unless there is a specific law that requires your wet signature on this document (which is not usually the case) then you can authorize someone to sign on your behalf. You may want to get it in writing with the party that is signing that they have the authority only to do this and nothing else. But otherwise, it won’t violate the law.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

if i have in writing from her, that i had her permission in the state of Virginia, then I am covered?
What if she just verbally told me over the phone?

It's fine if it's oral, too. It's just harder to prove if someone challenges the validity of the signature. Regardless, you can give her the oral consent to do so. Did you have any other questions for me?

The validity of the signature is hard to prove, because I just did it after i got off the phone with her. Now my employer does not want to pay me for the work. I am trying to catch up with the customer to get the permission in writing. I do have witnesses in the loan transaction that the permission was given, i am trying to get it in writing from her, then I have to go back to my employer then so that i can get my paycheck. I will probably need help with that.

I see what you mean. So long as you can verify either in writing or orally, that the customer gave you permission, then it won't be considered forgery.

ok, so if i have problems with my employer about that - is that something you would help me with?

I wish I could, but unfortunately, I'm not licensed in Virginia. I can however give you some tips and pointers if you come back to this website and ask for Legal Eagle.:-)

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
ok- i asked for you again

Ok great. I have to step away momentarily, but I will be back ASAP.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer