Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is going to happen regarding a missing life insurance…

Customer Question
What is going to...

What is going to happen regarding a missing life insurance beneficiary?
My mom passed away 3 weeks ago/ She lived with us for the last 21 years and we home hospiced her. Well, she told me that she had a life insurance policy, which I have just found, however she didn't name me as beneficiary.... this is SO uncharacteristic of her! We even had POA drawn up back in 2001 after her first heart attack! I am an only child but had a sister who passed away 41 years ago. She had 1 son who is still living but long story my brother-in-law took him away from the family. We have never had contact with him and don't know where he is. The insurance company is asking if my sister has any living children, which she has but I don't know where he is or any information. What is going to happen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Wisconsin .... an ID paper and claim sheet (not sure if these are the correct names)

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

For.... what information?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I am not a greedy person.... but do feel that my Mom's life insurance should come to me, her caretaker for 21 years.....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
10/11/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. You stated that your mom didn't name you as the beneficiary? Do you know who she did name?

She didn't name anyone.... which seems SO unlike her! She was very organized in her business things... but there is no name on file.
We wrote up POA papers through an attorney back in 2001 after her first heart attack. That's the way she was... always had her affairs in order. ALSO I found a letter she wrote asking what steps her daughter needed to take after her death to claim the insurance.
My Mom passed away on September 16

Okay, I see why you're asking. If there is no well, the life insurance policy will be part of the estate and distributed on the basis of intestacy laws.

So if mom isn't married then the assets go to her kids - that's why they're asking about other children. It would go to her children before it went to her brothers/sisters.

Hello. Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney