My boyfriend and I went to purchase vehicle the title is in…

Customer Question
My boyfriend and I...

My boyfriend and I went to purchase vehicle the title is in his name but my name is ***** ***** loan he already stated he won't pay the loan. he doesn't have ajob

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

2013 is the year of the car I bought it may 5 of 2017 and no nothing has been reported I paid the down payment, and the registration and the car insurance. he only paid 4 car payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I won't refinance, and I don't want my credit to suffer if he choses not to pay it if I pay it, the title is in his name..so if I pay it off its technically his car..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/9/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. What was the agreement you made with him? Any reason you placed title in his name and the loan in yours and gave him sole ownership?

Hi there, what are my options?

What was the agreement you made with him? Any reason you placed title in his name and the loan in yours and gave him sole ownership?

He couldn't get approved for the loan without my name.
I paid the down payment, the registration and the car insurance.
When first purchasing the car we were going to refinance the vehicle in just his name once he had been employed for 6 months. but he ended up losing his job. now he won't refinance and he won't sign over any papers giving me the title.
He doesn't have a job, or any way to pay for the vehicle

Thank you for the reply. If he refuses to make payments and that was the agreement you made with him and he breaches, you could sue him for the money owed, which you pay on his behalf or for the vehicle, itself. If title is in his name and you pay this off, he would own it. You being on the loan does not provide any legal right or interest in the vehicle, just a promise to pay. If title is in his name and he owns it, he needs to have insurance and make sure it is registered and if you stop paying, he will be obligated to do so. If he refuses to pay and you have to and he refuses to give you any interest in it, you are going to have to end up suing him, since he breached the agreement.

We didn't have anything in writing on this agreement, it was just between the two of us. It would be hearsay. it would be his word against mine.
It wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

Your testimony is evidence. Yes, it would be your word against his and up to the Judge to decide. He may deny a promise to repay or say it was a gift and you would need to testify as to what the agreement was. I know this is not ideal but it is really the only way to get the relief you want, if he refuses to pay and you do, to prevent your credit from being ruined and it having a repossession.

What could make hiim sign over the title? any thing legal

You would need to sue him and get it court ordered and for the Judge to find in your favor. If he agreed to pay for this and fails to do so and you pay, he would be in breach and you can sue him for the money owed or demand he turn over the vehicle.