What is the status of limitation on unpaid car loan for a…

Customer Question
What is the status...

What is the status of limitation on unpaid car loan for a lawsuit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A law firm just call me now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They claimed the loan is from 2008 from a bank I never heard of, which in fact the loan is from Capital One in 1997

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/9/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 9 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The statute of limitations for an unpaid debt in the State of New York (which includes a car loan) is six years, counting from the date of default. However the statute of limitations can RESET if the debtor makes a payment, or, affirms the debt in writing.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.