What is the acceptable amount of time allowed legally for an…

Customer Question
What is the acceptable...

What is the acceptable amount of time allowed legally for an individual to file a harrasment and discrimination suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is it for now.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, it is sensible to file a discrimination and harassment lawsuit as soon as it occurs. The reason is because the evidence, the witnesses, and the facts are much easier to obtain when the time hasn’t passed. Sometimes, cases like these can drag on for years while an investigation is being conducted. For instance, in an EEOC investigation, the Agency has 180 days to file their report of investigation of what happened. So, you can see that it can take a long time. Accordingly, there is a statute of limitations. You generally only have 300 days from the date of the alleged harassment and discrimination to file a lawsuit. Accordingly, you should move right away.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.