My husband and I are getting divorced. We own a quite a few…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are getting divorced. We own a quite a few businesses together and a lot of rental homes and also vacant properties. My husband wants to leave all as is, get divorced and then as we sell a property, split the profits 50/50. Also, keep the businesses together and also split the profits as they come in 50/50. I am concerned about this arrangement. He says there is no way to split the properties fairly as the appraised value is not necessarily what you would get when selling. He says that this way both of us will be assured of continues income even though we are divorced. I need some advice as to whether this is a good idea or not?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Austin, TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have, she just got me to put down all our assets......and she suggests that we keep the businesses together, but divide the other properties......I don't know if this is the way to go or not so seeking a second opinion. My husband of course is completely opposed to this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my husband thinks we should have a trust together even though we will be divorced??

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/7/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I think keeping the business but dividing other properties is a good first step here.If you are divorcing you really want to at least in phases separate your assets.It is normal to want to want to divide up what you can, here you may want to go in a different direction with your divided assets, sell them , trade them, buy others.It would be rare to keep all assets involved together, generally you may have different views and priorities than your ex.And the business if it had to be could be divided or sold down the road.I think you got good information even if the ex doesn't like it,

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.