We wer behind on a car payment and yesterday we went in to…

Customer Question
We wer behind on...

We wer behind on a car payment and yesterday we went in to make the payment and they locked the contract, so we called the financial company and they told us that if we paid $390 and paid $214 next week we would be ok and then they had us got to the carrot and call so they can unlock the contract tp make the payment. They walked us through how to make the payment of $390 and then. Still came and repoed the car afterwards. Can they do that or is there a law against that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

In Oklahoma and it was a 2011 Dodge Journey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

They are the one that locked the contract at the dealership we got the car from. And also the ones that had us call them once we made it to the dealership where we bought the car from so they could unlock it so we can male the payment of $390 and still came and repoed it after payment was made

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are they allowed to tell you an amount to pay and still repo your vehicle?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They can repossess the car at any time when payment is delinquent and loan is placed into default. HOWEVER, if they told you they would take payment and you would be up to date and then they repossessed, that is called unfair and deceptive business practices and grounds for you to sue them for damages for repossession based on telling you that you could make payment AND unlocking for you.

So, yes, you could have basis to sue for unfair and deceptive practices.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney