My ex husband's wife just called up to the Hospital's ER…

Customer Question
My ex husband's wife just...
My ex husband's wife just called up to the Hospital's ER department and questioned them about why my daughter needed to be seen. I know for a fact this is a huge HIPPA Violation and illegal, She is a minor (12yrs). Can I file charges on her?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

You can file a complaint against the hospital but a HIPAA violation isn't a criminal offense.

In addition, you can't file anything against the wife because she isn't a "covered entity" under HIPAA. It only violates HIPAA if the person is a employer, a health care provider, an employee of an insurance company, or an employer.

You would file your complaint with either the state's Attorney General or the Department of Health and Human Services Civil Rights Division.

To be clear, you could file the complaint against the wife but it would be dismissed since she isn't covered by HIPAA.

I'm going to put a link here to the Department of Health and Human Services website where you can verify who is covered by HIPAA:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/faq/190/who-must-comply-with-hipaa-privacy-standards/index.html

I am about to sign of for the evening but will be back online tomorrow morning if you have additional questions.

the Medical staff at the Hospital telling her the reasons behind my daughter's visit is not a violation according to you. When I worked their no medical staff could disclose any information about anyone's treatment especially a minor, but you are saying that's not HIPPA Violation?

Yes, the medical staff were not allowed to reveal it, as I indicated in the answer I gave at 9:06 where I said "You can file a complaint against the hospital but a HIPAA violation isn't a criminal offense.".

You can't file a claim against the wife, because she isn't a covered entity.

The hospital definitely shouldn't have revealed the info to her without a HIPAA disclosure form signed by a parent.

I was aware of my ability to file a HIPPA charge, however my questions was strictly about what charges I could file on this other person. Not at all did I think I could file HIPPA Violation charges on her. I only mentioned HIPPA because I am already well aware of that. You mentioning it in regards ***** ***** I don't understand?
Is there any action I can take against her? That's where I am going with this. I obviously feel extremely violated for my daughter.

I mentioned HIPAA because that is what you appeared to be asking about. Your question was: "My ex husband's wife just called up to the Hospital's ER department and questioned them about why my daughter needed to be seen. I know for a fact this is a huge HIPPA Violation and illegal, She is a minor (12yrs). Can I file charges on her?"

Charges normally indicate a criminal offense, which is why I addressed that as well.

There are no actions that can be taken against her other than filing a Motion to Modify and ask the judge to enter an order preventing her from doing anything similar. HIPAA doesn't allow for a lawsuit against anyone, there are no criminal law that would cover her doing this, and there is no civil cause of action which would apply.

The only ones you could pursue a complaint of any kind against would be the hospital and its employees and I discussed that above. In theory, if the hospital got into trouble for this then they might be able to pursue the wife, but I've never seen it done.

If she misrepresented who she was to the hospital, for example if she told them she was you, then you could file a complaint with the police based on identity fraud but that's the only thing I see that's possible and that would only be a issue if she had represented she was you.

This is just an area of the law that doesn't have a solution.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney