My gas (propane) company and I are in a dispute concerning…

Customer Question
My gas (propane) company...

My gas (propane) company and I are in a dispute concerning my August bill, which normally runs $50 max in the summer months, but which the company is claiming was $1,825 for last August. Would the company seek redress in Small Claims court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?

California; since I'm not going to pay, would the company go to small claims to recover the amount?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The only document outstanding as of this point is the company's invoice. In a telephone conversation they offered to cut the bill to $1,000--still way over my normal bill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, thanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Would the company seek redress in Small Claims court?

Response: The Court may seek redress in Small Claims Court. However, the company is the only one that would definitely know what the company would do regarding the disputed debt. Nonetheless, the company may first send the debt to collections. Then, if you still refuse to pay, the company may then file a lawsuit (Small Claim) to force you to pay. You would then have opportunity to tell the Court your side of the issue--why you are refusing to pay the bill.

Best wishes,

Please post your response to my e-mail (*****@******.***); My concern is that if I don't pay, they'll cut off service. Should I pay under protest, and attempt to recover the excess charge in small claims (in CA the cut off is $25,000)? Thanks.

Thank you for the information.

I cannot e-mail you. I can only post my response on this forum.

Should I pay under protest, and attempt to recover the excess charge in small claims (in CA the cut off is $25,000)? Thanks.

Response: Unfortunately, you are asking for a legal advice, which I am prohibited from giving by the terms of service. Nonetheless, it would be difficult for the "excess money" to be recovered once you have paid it.