I receined this notice that my warranty was about to

Customer Question
I receined this notice...

I receined this notice that my warranty was about to expairandthe number they gave me to call was 1-***-***-**** and they in return gave me another number to call which was 1-***-***-****I was told that I had never called those numbers until 5 minutes ago now I want to know if they are a con company and not honest

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The manufacturer is GM and it was a used vehicle but still under warranty

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't suppose

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Was the telephone number for GM's Warranty Department?

"CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER

1-***-***-****" http://www.gmc.com/owners/warranty-faqs.html

You will want to report the scam phone numbers to the State and Federal consumer protection agencies. You are in located in Virginia?

There are scams going on.

"Watch out for Auto Warranty Scams

If you own a vehicle and a phone, you may receive calls from scammers posing as representatives of a car dealer, manufacturer or insurer telling you that your auto warranty or insurance is about to expire. The call will include some sort of pitch for renewing your warranty or policy.

During the call – which often begins automated or pre-recorded – you may be instructed to press a certain number or stay on the line, then asked to provide personal information, which potentially can be used to defraud you.

What makes it particularly hard to discern if this type of call is fraudulent is that the scammer may have specific information about your particular car and warranty that they use to deceive you into thinking they are a legitimate caller.

Steps you can take to protect yourself

First, do not provide any personal information, such as a social security number, credit card information, driver’s license number or bank account information to any caller unless you can verify you are dealing directly with a legitimate company with which you have an established business relationship. Telephone scammers are good at what they do and may imply that they work for a company you trust. Don't fall for it. Be extremely cautious.

If you have caller ID you can screen incoming calls. Legitimate telemarketers are required to transmit or display their phone number and the name and/or the phone number of the company they're representing. The display must include a phone number that you can call during regular business hours to ask that the company no longer call you.

You should be cautious even if a number appears authentic. Criminals may engage in caller ID "spoofing" – deliberately falsifying the information transmitted to your Caller ID display to disguise their identity. (See our consumer guide on Caller ID and Spoofing.) Avoid answering any calls you suspect may be spoofed.

Filing a complaint

You can file a complaint with the FCC about suspected scam calls. In addition to being fraudulent in nature, these calls likely violate telemarketing and robocall rules. (See our guide on Stopping Unwanted Calls.)

While the FCC does not award individual damages to consumers, your complaint may help us identify scammers and take appropriate action. In some cases, the FCC can issue warning citations and impose fines against companies who are violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

If you think you have received a call involving fraud, you can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov."

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/beware-auto-warranty-scams

Please file a complaint at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have any additional questions for me?