I have a ex boyfriend who was incarcerated and signed power…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a ex boyfriend who was incarcerated and signed power of attorney over to his then girlfriend. She was supposed to sell a vehicle and use the proceeds to get him a lawyer and also provide canteen money. She did not sell the car and has completely stop communicating with him. If he changes his power of attorney can they legally pursue for her to provide proof of the expenditures

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

It is in SC and the car is a 2002 BMW she also had possession of money. I am not sure if it was received from the bank or was just cash on hand

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far a what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, someone who has a POA has a financial duty to the other person involved. This means that your ex boyfriend’s then girlfriend was required to make decisions to his financial benefit and not to his detriment. If a person fails in their financial duty, then they may be liable for financial harm that has caused. In your case, if she did not sell the car and has not provided him the $ that he needs for his canteen and lawyer, then he may be able to sue her for the harm that has resulted. For instance, if he needed an attorney to show up for a hearing, draft a document, or to do some action, but he didn’t have the money to do so because he needed the $ for the car, then he could sue her for breaching that duty.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.