I have a Federal Judgment - Southern Dist of NY against a…

Customer Question
I have a Federal...

I have a Federal Judgment - Southern Dist of NY against a party that resides in Nevada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm wondering if I (1) must have it domesticated - probably not; and (2) must I serve it to Defendants?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean, I have the judgment, I am the plaintiff and the judgment was granted in my favor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to locate a Sheriff/Marshal, that has jurisdiction to serve a Federal Judgment.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Yes, you would need to domesticate the judgment, although the procedure is a little different than it would be with a state judgment.

The actual code sections which explain how to handle your situation is at https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/28/1963 and at https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_69

There is a webpage at http://www.judgmentbuy.com/EnforcingFederalJudgments.html that provides more info on the process but it is a little longer.

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.