I have a mediation hearing on October 11, 2017. I just

Customer Question
Hello! I have...

Hello! I have a mediation hearing on October 11, 2017. I just received the Affidavit for small claim court last week, therefore I need to request a date change to better prepare myself and/or seek attorney assistance. How can I delay or request to change the mediation date?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I haven't had the opportunity, however I have been on the internet seeking an attorney that specializes in Landlord/Tenant matters.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically, I need to change the mediation date to get my documentations/papers together.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Ok, thank you for your patience. Generally, if you have court ordered mediation, then you can submit a motion to continue the matte.r Generally, there must be "Good Cause" for you to continue the trial and it must be approved by the court. You would just take some 28-line pleading paper (usually a Microsoft Word template) and write down the reasons why you need to postpone. If it is because you need more time to prepare and need an attorney, then it is important you list those reasons why. Remember, the judge has to be the one to finally approve it so be prepared to have it denied, but oftentimes the court will approve it at least once.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.