Last year my mother got tangled in Christmas tree netting at…

Customer Question
Last year my mother got...
Last year my mother got tangled in Christmas tree netting at home depot. The tree was purchased by a customer and tied with the netting. The tree was placed to the side so that the customer could continue shopping. My mother was caught in the netting, fell, knee bone split down middle, foot broken in several places. Had surgery on knee. Foot did not heal properly. Impact has affected her in several ways. We have been neg. with HD. Offer came in for $30K . We think that is too low.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am very sorry to hear your mother was injured so severely.

Here are sample jury instructions to give you an idea of what they will look at and consider.

The statute of limitations of 2 years is set forth here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=2017&ChapterID=56&SeqStart=102300000&SeqEnd=105700000

(735 ILCS 5/13-202)

Generally for personal injury the court will consider the following:

1. lost earnings

2. past and future medical expenses

3. disability, loss of normal life

4. pain and suffering

5. damages for increased risk of future harm

6. attorney fees, court costs

7. punitive damages if the defendant acted with reckless disregard/malice.

Normally the attorney will review jury/bench verdicts for the geographical area, finding similar cases, so they may have an idea of what constitutes a fair settlement.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Sh is 79, no lost earnings. She tries easily due to her injuries. She has difficulty walking for more than ten minutes. Her injuries have had impact on her day to day activities. She has trouble sitting in one spot for too long, difficulty walking, difficulty walking for any length, gardening. Her way of life has been hampered. What can we suggest to counter the offer of 30K

Yes, I assumed no lost earnings but since some seniors work part time I wanted to include that in case it's applicable.

Normally when a party counters, they will have case law cited with the judgment amount, emphasizing the similarity of injuries/facts.

The attorney may pursue discovery-ie finding out the limits of the insurance policy; and take that into consideration.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer