In Michigan can a hospital put a lien on my house or access…

Customer Question
In Michigan can a...

In Michigan can a hospital put a lien on my house or access my IRA or pension, for money I owe them

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No only brought up as a action they could take

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you.

T​hey would have to first get a judgment against you before they can try to put a lien against property.

how about my IRA and pension
did you get my last question

In Michigan once there is a judgment and the funds hit your account they can be garnished.

I'm trying to find some definitive information for you. Bear with me.

Certain types of income are exempt from garnishment before they are paid to you, including: unemployment compensation, workers’ compensation, state and federal civil service retirement benefits, and military retirement benefits. State law also exempts Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA’s) and life insurance payable to a spouse or child of the insured. See http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/library_client/resource.2005-09-28.4088741085/html_view

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Tina, Lawyer