Ifa. If a newspaper co refuses to run obituaries for one…

Customer Question
If a newspaper co...

If a newspaper co refuses to run obituaries for one funeral home but still does for other funeral homes would this be grounds for discremention

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to have a case for unlawful discrimination, you need to prove that the paper is not running them based only on age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the home owners or the deceased. The paper is a private business and has a right to conduct business with anyone they choose EXCEPT in that they cannot discriminate based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin.

So it is not necessarily grounds for discrimination suit without more information as to why they are doing it. If they are doing it because of one of the reasons I mentioned above, then you can sue them for discrimination. If it is not for one of those reasons, the paper has a right to do business with whomever they choose and there is some other underlying reason the paper refuses to do business with you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.