I was the subject of a sting and may be charged with

Customer Question
I was the subject...

I was the subject of a sting and may be charged with solicitation..I did not engage in any act and actually pulled off because I decided to not do anything.was a block away when finally stopped.never been convicted of aanything. Like this but they are harsh .I need the help of a lawyer to figure someway to get past this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Detroit mich.....but I live currently in New Jersey and afraid this could damage the small job I have with court dates

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

It just happened last night...so no not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just the fact that this is the first time ....I haven't had more than a ticket in a few years. I work so that my child support gets taken care of so any payments I have to make would need to be spread a little.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Did they charge you? You shared that they may, so I am curious what happened after you were stopped and if you were issued anything?

I was given a set of forms for my car and what looked like a ticket with handwritten info and no court date just a set of phonenumbers

It is possible that you were issued a notice to appear, so if there is a date and a phone number, you want to call the court house and confirm that this was filed and you need to appear to answer to the charge. If you are a first time offender, you can see if the State has a diversion program which you can enter into, to get this dismissed. As a first time offender, the State should not seek any jail time. If the money was returned, there would be no restitution owed, so if you wanted to take a plea and resolve this, you could be looking at a fine, court costs and maybe probation. You can also ask if the State would offer a diversion type program. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer