My baby's pediatrician insists on hospitalizing her because…

Customer Question
My baby's pediatrician...

My baby's pediatrician insists on hospitalizing her because to them she is not growing and gaining weight fast enough. I breastfeed. Can I legally refuse? I am in Georgia. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/6/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 10 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you may. Your doctor doesn't have any "power" to force your baby into a hospital. Now there is a reporting statute, in that if the doctor feels that your actions are injurious or harmful to your baby's health and wellbeing, your doctor can report this matter to CPS.

The best thing at this point would be to communicate to the doctor that no one is more concerned about your baby's health than you are, but you want to make the best decision. Say that you're going to seek a second opinion, and actually go and get one (or two). If they also say that you need to hospitalize, then that's a pretty good bet that you should do that. But if they say differently, that alone would be very strong evidence that you're not acting unreasonably in regards ***** ***** health of your baby. And if CPS does show up, you could then say that you went to another doctor that had a difference of opinion, and if two experts differ as to this matter, CPS cannot show, by clear and convincing evidence, that your baby's health is in danger of harm by you refusing hospitalization.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Are you there?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!