I see so how much. NJ. Im filing a civil law suit against a…

Customer Question
Is this a free...

Is this a free service?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyers require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

I see so how much

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Im filing a civil law suit against a local newspaper. I am a third party candidate running for state senate and the newspaper has refused to give me any coverage despite my being on the ballot. I need a cause of action to sue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Hello?

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Did you read what i typed?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Hello
Is a lawyer there?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/6/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

ok TY
hi
r u there

While I know this isn't what you want to necessarily hear, there is no cause of action for a newspaper choosing not to give you coverage. They are afforded freedom of speech/freedom of the press, and there is no law I can point you to that says they have to cover particular stories or candidates. Indeed, there are numerous media outlets, large and small, on both sides of the political aisle, that simply don't cover what is going on with the other party, or choose to but a very heavy bias into what they write. Again, it may only appeal to a certain segment of the population, but it isn't unlawful and there's no basis to sue.

Now, if the newspaper were writing false/malicious things about you then you certainly may have a good cause of action for defamation of character, but based on the facts provided, I see no grounds to sue.

What about equal air time for candidates? isnt there a statute or something they have to follow
isnt it a first amendment right to run for office and the paper is infringing upon that right by not covering a person
Next, the Division of Elections omitted my party from the ballot. I need a cause of action to force them to redo the ballots with my correct party listed
Are you still there?
Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The "equal time" rules apply to radio and television and they DO NOT provide that a media outlet must actually report on your candidacy, they say that if one candidate is offered radio or TV time, then all of the candidates have to be allowed to purchase time at similar prices and for similar amounts of time. There is no law mandating a reporter give you or any candidate any recognition and you cannot force the paper to do so I am afraid.

If the board of elections left your party off the ballot and it is a recognized political party within the state, then you may sue for correction of the ballots to correctly reflect your party affiliation, but the most you can get from this suit is an order from the court to redo the ballots, no money damages.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.