Trying to figure out how to file lien on property? Mohave…

Customer Question
Trying to figure out...

Trying to figure out how to file lien on property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Mohave county in AZ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, pretty straight forward.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley

what is the reason for filing the lien?

They did not pay their bill.
never mind I was just looking for process.

In a civil court case, after a judge or jury hands down a verdict -- or after a court-approved settlement -- a judgment is entered by the court. As part of a typical judgment, the court orders the payment of money from one person to another. But the person who owes the money (the debtor) doesn't always pay up. A judgment lien is one way to ensure that the person who won the judgment (the creditor) gets what he or she is owed. A judgment lien gives the creditor the right to be paid a certain amount of money from proceeds from the sale of the debtor's property.

What kind of property is subject to a judgment lien under Arizona law?

In every state, a judgment lien can be attached to the debtor's real estate -- meaning a house, condo, land, or similar kind of property interest. And some states also allow judgment liens on the debtor's personal property -- things like jewelry, art, antiques, and other valuables.

In Arizona, a judgment lien can be attached to real estate only (meaning a house or similar property).

How does a creditor go about getting a judgment lien in Arizona?

To attach the lien, the creditor files and records a judgment with the county recorder in any Arizona county where the debtor owns property now or where they may own property in the future.

How long does a judgment lien last in Arizona?

A judgment lien in Arizona will remain attached to the debtor's property (even if the property changes hands) for five years.

Keep in mind: In Arizona, a creditor's ability to collect under a judgment lien will be affected by a number of factors -- including a fixed amount of value that won't be touchable if the property is the debtor's primary residence (called a homestead exemption), other liens that may be in place, and any foreclosure or bankruptcy proceedings. If things get complicated, you may want to talk with an experienced Arizona bankruptcy and debt attorney to help you sort out any lien issues.

Where can I look up Arizona law on judgment liens?

If you want to go right to the source and look up Arizona laws on judgment liens -- maybe you're a party to a judgment, or you're just researching potential encumbrances on property -- the relevant statute(s) can be found at Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. section 33-964.

I already knew this info. I wanted to know if I could even file a lien. In the construction world they have a 20 day preliminary filing. Therefore, I wanted to know if I could even file a lien -- what the requirements. Not after judgment. If I even got to the court process that would be very expensive and not worth the trouble.
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer