I have used Rocky all my life, although my legal mane is…

Customer Question
I have used Rocky...

I have used Rocky all my life, although my legal mane is Rockwell. What do I need to verify that both names are me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

??? not sure of the guestion.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. The only thing that you can do to verify that both names are ***** ***** to get a name change with the court. If the state where your birth certificate is says Rockwell on it, then that is going to be your legal name even if you go by a nickname like most people do. Therefore, if you want to be known by Rocky officially, then you're going to need to request a name change with your state court and they will have to enter a court order allowing you to do this. This will not invalidate all of the other documents that have Rockwell on it because the court order will show that you changed your name from Rockwell to Rocky, but to officially be known as Rocky, you will have to go through the court system.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.