I recd, signed & paid invoice from contractor. The actual…

Customer Question
I recd, signed &...

I recd, signed & paid invoice from contractor. The actual contract had higher prices. Which has precedence, contract or invoice?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To a legal authority? no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The contractor, of course, says we owe the higher prices

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer fora phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me,please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

Generally, a contract will prevail over an invoice, unless there is language in the contract which states that the contract price may be adjusted based upon actual costs.

However, if you received an invoice which indicates that it is the "final" invoice, or similar, and you paid that invoice, then that would operate as a modification of the original contract, which is signed by you and would likely take precedence over the contract.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!