I live in an apartment complex who have sprayed my apartment…

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an apartment complex who have sprayed my apartment 3 times for bed bugs and now I have to get rid of my sofa. The Manager told me to make a list of what I would like to be done, but her assistant did not attache my list to the work order. The owner got angry with me because I called the office adding things I wanted done and he told the Manager he was not going to release to me. I have lived her three years and paid my rent on time, I keep my apartment clean. What rights do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I CAN NOT AFFORD $59 FOR A PHONE CALL. I JUST NEED TO KNOW MY RIGHTS.
I LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY.

Hi, thanks for responding. I wasn't sure if you still wished to have your questino answered. the phone call was optional.

I JUST WANT AN ANSWER.

Sure, one moment...

Thank you for your patience. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. If the landlord in your case is looking to evict you in part because you made reasonable requests, then this is going to be considered a retaliatory eviction which is against the law. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.