If a person who commits a attempted second degree murder and…

Customer Question
If a person who...

If a person who commits a attempted second degree murder and is found not guility by reason of insanity. Can that person still get a US passport?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 7 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's not necessarily a disqualification, but may be. Certain things are automatic (such as felony drug convictions, unpaid child support, a minor without consent of a parent). But other things are where "it depends".

If the State Department decides that you are a real threat to national security or U.S. policy, you may be denied a passport. You will also be disqualified if you have been ruled legally incompetent, are subject to felony arrest or have been forbidden -- by court order, parole or probation -- from leaving the country. Also, your passport can be revoked -- and subsequent applications denied -- if you are found to have obtained a passport through fraudulent means or to have altered a passport. In 2012, legislation was introduced that could revoke or deny passports to people who owe money to the Internal Revenue Service.

So an individual still could have been ruled legally incompetent due to insanity, or barred by court order from leaving the country, and that would act as a disqualification. But assuming that none of these are in place, then the person could get a passport.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see you opened another question thread for the same question. Can you see this one?

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Hello?

Please note that I am still waiting for your response or rating...

Are you there?

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney