What is the statute of limitations on collecting on a

Hi! What is the...

Hi! What is the statute of limitations on collecting on a criminal monetary judgment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have old criminal cases with outstanding fines and fees and would like my record sealed, but I have money owed on two cases. They are 15 years old. How long can they collect on those cases?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I request they be sealed and still have the balance on the criminal case?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Please review my question

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, there's not going to be a statute of limitations on collecting criminal judgements. Typically, a civil judgement has to be renewed every 10 years for them to have the right to continue to collect. However, criminal fines and restitution or a bit different in that they typically do not have a definitive time limit. Part of the reason is because this is a part of your criminal sentence in criminal sentences don't have a statute of limitations. They are only limited by what the judge says. For example, if you were sentenced to 60 days in jail, you can't be kept in jail any longer than 60 days. However, if the judge says that you have life in prison, then you're going to have to stay there for the rest of your life. Also, unless the judge says that the Judgment must be collected by the courts by a certain time, then there's going to be no statute of limitations. You could potentially have your criminal case be sealed, but it really depends on the nature of your crime and if you qualify. For example, juvenile crimes can typically be sealed. However, most of the crimes are going to be public record forever. You may want to check with your local courthouse to see what the process is for expungement or your local County Courthouse might have some information for a local attorney might have some information help get some of these things off your record if you qualify. For example, in the state of California, Recent legislation was passed to allow certain offenders to have their record clear and if they met very specific requirements. Thus, I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure if you are specific stayed, but more often than not you may not be able to get it expunged. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Okay. to be clear, there is no statute of limitations on criminal cases when there is a money judgment that can be collected. Can you point me to a statute or case or something please? And lastly to my final question.... Can I request the records be sealed and STILL have the balance on the criminal case- is your answer is probably ? The case is a sealable case, let's just assume this is sealable, is your answer that I can still pay on a sealable case or I can't?

Hi, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to point you to any specific statute or cases because the IL legislature, like nearly all 50 states, does not specifically outline a time limit that the state has to effectuate this kind of punishment. Your case probably won't be sealed if you haven't paid the money that is required just yet. The reason is because the case is still technically open so until it is paid, it can't be sealed. Only judgements that are complete can be sealed. This would be similar to an offender asking the case to be sealed before they have served their sentence.

If I don't pay it, what ways can they collect it from me?

They usually turn it over to a private collections agency and it may go on your credit report if it hasn't already.

okay. Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Okay. Thanks for the information.

You bet and best of luck!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer