My dad has property that we want to sell to a relative where…

Customer Question
My dad has property...

My dad has property that we want to sell to a relative where do I start

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The property just became sole property to my dad after going to probate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what I need to do to make this a legal transaction. The property will be sold as is and the recipient will only pay 2K

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

what do I do to see residential property in Texas

Thank you very much for your patience. A part of what needs to be done is to ensure that there are no liens on the home. What I mean by this is that if there are any mortgages they need to be paid off before the home is sold. If the family members going to pay off the loan on the home then they will need to do so before they are able to take title to the home. Assuming the lean issue is out of the way, my recommendation would be to hire a title company to make sure that nobody else has any claims on the property. For example, there may be an easement on the property that you are unaware of that the new owner may have to honor even if they did not expressly agree to it. Additionally, after that all you really need to do is draft up a bill of sale then gives the property to the relative. You may also need to draft up either a warranty deed or quitclaim deed. A warranty deed says that the seller warrants that the property is free of any liens and that the owner warrants that they have the right to sell the property. On the other hand, a quit claim deed is just a simple deed where the property will be transferred over to the relative. You would take down a copy of that deed to the County Recorder or assessor's office and file it and the property will change hands. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.