Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a person file a small claims complaint against an

Customer Question
Can a person file...
Can a person file a small claims complaint against an insurance company whose home base is out of state and demand their presence in Texas.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: They have many offices here in texs but headquartered in michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as of yet?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a common way to press an issue of someone out of state?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. The answer to your question is yes. Generally, under the rules of civil procedure, if there is a business that holds itself out to the benefits and protections of state law then you can claim jurisdiction in sue them in a local Court. This is what's called minimum contacts generally under the law. If the insurance company is actively pursuing people that live in Texas and also abide by Texas insurance law in general, then they can be subject to jurisdiction. My recommendation would be to look at your contract to see if there is an arbitration or mediation requirement before you file a lawsuit in small claims. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer