If my son's unattended shopping cart was into my friend's…

Customer Question
If my son's unattended...

If my son's unattended shopping cart was blown into my friend's car by a gust of wind is he liable? My friend wants to sue me & force me to rent her a car til her 4 inch SCRATCH is repaired expecting me to pay her $1,000 deductible. she's not using insurance so her rates won't go up ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Mass & he's 22 & a 9/11 victim's son so she knows he has a little money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Happened by the store front door so I assume this was seen on camera

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Technically, yes, your son would be liable since he was responsible for controlling his shopping cart and his failure to control the cart resulted in damage to your friend's vehicle. He would be responsible for the cost of the repair, and yes, technically also the cost of any rental costs incurred for the amount of time it would reasonably take to repair the scratch (this would probably be just one day, so about $30.)

Understand that it is petty and even morally questionable for your friend to go after your son like this, but the law still supports the claim. Your friend is not required to go through her own insurance. She can, but she is also perfectly free from a legal standpoint to seek compensation from the "at fault" party instead.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

is my son liable for only the repairs or slso my friend's deductible ? IE : $200 to repair the scratch only, or also the deductible?

The way a deductible works is that the insured's coverage only kicks in once the deductible has been exceeded. If the cost of the repair is less than the deductible then there is no insurance coverage for the claim. But this is actually irrelevant because your son's liability is the same regardless of what insurance coverage there is. It doesn't matter if there is a $100 deductible for a $5,000 deductible. His liability is simply the cost of the repair, plus rental while the repair is being undertaken. Period.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Did you get my last response to you? Was there anything else I can do to help?