I need some advice .. My son is in the ICU at Bay area

Customer Question
I need some advice...

I need some advice .. My son is in the ICU at Bay area Hospital in Corpus Christi. First of all Im not living with mysons Father, whom I am still legally married to. They have failed to inform me that My son is in the Hospital for reasons I dont know... The Girlfriend is claiming that She is his Mother and is monitoring all phone calls .. I was informed by aclose family member that he has been ther for Two Weeks .. I am going to go to the Hospital to see him now .. But first I need to see what my rights are... The Girlfriend and my husband has been taking care of him for some time now .. Before I go up there (holding back an Attitude of course) I will not make a scene as far as the Girlfriend goes, but need to see about what kind of Rights She has also.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am planning to file for a Divorce, And my Son has Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm very sorry to hear about your son, and I hope that he does not have to remain in the hospital too much longer. That said, unless the girlfriend was awarded some form of guardianship over your son (which you would have been made aware of, because a court petition would have had to been filed, court hearings held, etc), she has no legal rights. Much in the same way a step-parent has no legal rights to a child, she has no say in his care and cannot make decisions for him. As a non-family member, she may even not be allowed in the ICU during certain "off hours", e.g., late evening when they want patients to rest.

I'm not going to give a reason to you why the hospital never contacted you -there's no way for me to know that with accuracy. My best guess is that she told them (or the child's father told them) that she was the mother, and no one questioned it.

It may not be a bad idea when you go to the hospital to bring a copy of the birth certificate with you indicating you are the actual birth mother.

The only Birth Certificate that I actually have in my possession is the hospital certificate with his new born foot prints . I can file for a copy of an original Birth Certificate at the Court house ,right? I know his Social Security number , but do not have his actual card..

Thank you for your reply.

You would actually get a copy of the birth certificate from the Department of State Health Services, Vital Statistics. The hospital isn't likely to ask for anything anyway -I'm just thinking if any issues arise in the hospital, it would be helpful to bring what you have.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.