If I have a flat tire and the rim of my tire leaves marks in…

Customer Question
Second opinion] if I...

Second opinion] if I have a flat tire and the rim of my tire leaves marks in the road as i try to get to a safe spot am I responsible to pay for the road damage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not until three and a half months after the incident

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Town Chairman showed up at my home and said I owed $2500.00 which was an arbitrary figure determined by him alone.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

You are liable for road repairs only if you damaged the road through carelessness or negligence. The town would have to have a professional estimate of the cost of repairs. $2,500 sounds extremely high just for a short run of blacktop filler. Demand proof and contact your insurance carrier.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, I would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.