I am a 73 year old woman I am my daughters payee, I did not…

Customer Question
I am a 73...

I am a 73 year old woman I am my daughters payee, I did not know that I was suppose to tell ssi that she went to work. Now they say I woe them $8446.97 how can I pay that to them I only get $755, 00 a month ssi please tell me how they came to that amount and what I can do about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes they have all her receits from her earings

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will pay what eer I can but how did they com to such a high cost to me She was collecting ssi from my ssi.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, even if you made a mistake, if they over paid your daughter because of the mistake, you would be liable for repayment. However, under the law you can appeal the reimbursement based on financial hardship and the director of the SSA can waive reimbursement if you provide proof to SSA that such reimbursement would impose a significant financial hardship on you as payee and your daughter, such as you would not be able to pay rent/utilities or for food and clothing to satisfy her basic needs.

So at this point, you need to file a written appeal to SSA and include your tax returns/your daughter's tax returns and proof of all of your basic necessities (rent, utilities, food, clothing etc) to show your financial hardship and ask the SSA to waive reimbursement. IF they refuse, I am afraid you would need to work with them on a payment plan and as Payee for her, you have to make the arrangements to get them paid back.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.