I sue someone for recording me while I someone was fighting…

Customer Question
Hey can I sue...

Hey can I sue someone for recording me while I someone was fighting me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York it was night time and it was only the three of us

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I don't know the rules about this kind of stuff that's why I I'm looking online for answers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Those people are posting my name and my address on social media an

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Can you answer the first question for me
No I don't want phone calls

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

No I don't want the phone call

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, the answer to your question is no. The reason is because this may not be an invasion of privacy. But it depends on the circumstances. Generally, an intrusion upon seclusion occurs when a party is recording another in an area where the recorded party has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Therefore, if you are out in the backyard while you were fighting somebody, then you may not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. However, if you were in your bedroom then that may be a violation of your reasonable expectation of privacy. Also, as a side note you may want to consider getting a restraining order against the person that has the video to keep them from posting it on social media or sharing it with other people. Did you have other questions for me?

They already sending the video to other people

I see what you mean. If this is the case then you may want to consider getting a restraining order. A judge May Grant a restraining order if they have reason to believe that this is leading to unreasonable harassment even if it is over the Internet. They may granted temporarily and order that party to stop immediately. They may not Grant it permanently if there is no reason to believe that you were safety may be at risk, but it is still something that you could do in the meantime to get them to stop right away. You could also potentially pursue the invasion of privacy action as well. What other questions did you have for me?

sent

Ok thx a lot can you tell me the process how can I start

Sure, generally all you need to do is to go down to the local courthouse and go to the court clerk which is usually on the first floor. Typically, you can get a copy of the necessary forms to file a restraining order. You just need to put down your name, the person that needs to be restrained come in the reason that you want them to be restrained. Most of the time the judge will grant the same day so you may need to hang out until the judge has an opportunity to review your reasons why you want the restraining order. It is possible that the judge me talk to you about the restraining order in the reasons for it. If the judge authorizes it, then you will get paperwork that you will need to serve on the other party. Typically to serve those documents you will need to get somebody who is over 18 and not a party to the case. A lot of times people use a process server. If you go to ww.w thumbtack.com you can find a process server who can do it usually for relatively cheap, typically under fifty bucks. Did you have any other questions for me?

I don't want the monthly package payment I just need the 5 dollars one
I c they charge me for 36 dollars instead of $5

Hi, I understand. That's something you'll need to work out with customer car.e I'm a user just like you. It's $5 to post your question and $31 additional to interact with me. You can ask as many follow up questions as you want and get a second opinion for free as well. This is about 90% off my regular hourly fee so it is a great deal.

HI, I can understand the confusion. But please keep in mind that you're speaking with a licensed attorney who is live and dealing with your issue directly. To see an attorney in your area, it may cost upwards of $300 just for a consultation and the results are often extremely limited. Believe me when I say it's a good value for $36. Would you like to continue the chat?

No I don't want it I just need the $5 dollars please do something cause I don't have any money left

I understand.

You can always contact Just Answer’s Customer Care team by clicking here or calling them at 1-***-***-**** and they can refund your $.

Thx

You bet. I hoep you get your $5 back.

No I don't have a problem with the $5but they charge me $36

Understood. Let me opt out of the discussion. If you have any other questions, come back any time.