I had a female elderly resident in my assisted living

Customer Question
facility. 3 weeks ago, she...
I had a female elderly resident in my assisted living facility. 3 weeks ago, she went to a rehab facility for some treatment and has not discharged from there yet. Terry, her daughter and POA (Power of Attorney) for her mom, just today (Oct. 4, 2017) send me an email informing me that her mom won’t be coming back to my place anymore. They were supposed to give me 30-day notice before leaving. Terry doesn’t want to pay for the month of October either. Their furniture still occupying our master bedroom suite.I told her, I won’t let her take the furniture until she pays for October rent. She said, she will have police escorted her to get her furniture from my place without paying me October rent.
What are my legal recourses?
1) Can police compel me to let her in to my house and get her mom’s furniture without paying due rent? I thought, it will be a civil case and need to be tried in the court.
2) Do I have an obligation to safeguard her property, store it in my house for free, and release it to her whenever she wants to pick it up later this month even if she doesn’t pay October rent?
3) Should I hire a mover to move out all of her furniture to a storage, keep all the receipt for all the expenses and do not give the key to the storage to her until she pays her dues?
[I assume this strategy is the safest one because then police can’t compel me to let her in to my property. Note: she already send me an email stating, her mom is not coming back.]Is there any other option I have. My whole objective is to get the rent for the month of October with least hassle and least litigation cost. I have no interest in her furniture.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Likely the tell her it is a civil dispute.

You can tell here you will charge storage here if she doesn't pay for the 30 days.

Yes because you need to re rent it here.

[I assume this strategy is the safest one because then police can’t compel me to let her in to my property. Note: she already send me an email stating, her mom is not coming back.]

Is there any other option I have. My whole objective is to get the rent for the month of October with least hassle and least litigation cost. I have no interest in her furniture.

No here you could sue her in small claims but she likely has no assets to collect against.Clean it out here and either store it or dispose of it.I would send her another demand letter for the 30 days or it is your intent to sell the personal property to cover the storage fees here and other losses you have endured.You also need to get a security deposit for any clients you have in future.

I appreciate the chance to help you , thanks for rating 5 stars.

I already told her that it is a civil case. It is not about what I will tell her, it is about what police will force me to do when she calls the cop this weekend or next week when she comes in to pick up her furniture. Therefore, I thought, I will be in a stronger position to have all her furniture moved to a storage before she comes in.Problem is since her mom was living in my place, she might be able to have police compel me to let her in next week to get her property.

If the cops tell you to release it then do so.I don't think they will touch this .Best you can do here.

If I have all of her furniture moved to the storage now then cops can no longer ask me to give her the key of the storage, can they?
I do not want to leave it on cops judgement because a lot of time they do not know the laws well enough.I want only one venue open for her to get her furniture back, that is through small claim court, so that I can get my one month rent plus moving and storage cost. Am I correct here?

Yes that sounds like good next steps here.Good luck to you.

Can cop compel me to give her the key to the storage?

Yes they could here, honestly don't think the police will touch this.Civil dispute tenant owes you rent.

they could? Cops could force me to give her the key the storage, are you sure?
That completely surprised me.
If I do not give the key of the storage, can the cop arrest me?
I need a clear cut yes, or no answer here, please.My goal is to take her to the court before she gets hold of her furniture.
What if I I say, I forgot where I put it. I will look, when I find it I will give to her.
Can they force me, arrest me for not telling her the name of the storage company? I assume not.
Only the court will know the whole truth by means of the trial. I do not trust cops judgement, nor do I want to take a chance on cops.

Thats your call here.

My call?
I do not understand. I don't make the law.
I was asking the law as it is written, so that, I can take action according to the law in my advantage.
Or, may be you are saying, it is a gray area?

I am saying if the police tell you to release the stuff you should do so or they may charge you.I also understand why you are trying to hold it here to force payment.If they push you here and threaten charges and they may not do that at that point you decide whether you want to fight this or let the furniture go.As I understand you have no written agreement that allows you to hold furniture of a tenant or client that owes you money.If you had that then the law would side with you.Again don't shoot the messenger its your call here.

Thanks, ***** ***** explained it.
I do not want to shoot the messenger. I just want to know the law.
Earlier you said it will be my call. I want to make my every call according to the law. That is the whole purpose of asking question.I have written contract for 30 days notice but nothing about the furniture.
I have clear following questions:
1) Does the law allow me to put the furniture into a storage if a tenant left and notified me in writing that they are not coming back and won't pay October's rent?
I assume, the answer has to be YES.
If so, then...
2) Does the law allow me to ask her to pay for all the moving expenses before release her furniture from the storage?
I assume the answer is YES again. But I am not sure. If the answer is YES, then cops can't compel me to give her the key before the payment. Correct?
If so,...then...
3) Can I then not also ask for the rent before releasing her furniture in the storage?

I assume, the answer has to be YES.
If so, then...

If it is in your contract, otherwise no you can bluff here but no law gives you a lien here.

Ask yes here, otherwise it is not in your agreement and you need to change your agreement.

Ask yes but no breach of contract if you did not have this in your agreement.You really need to change your agreement, people move, die, etc and if you add this to your agreement you would be on solid legal ground as iis a breach of the contract.Doesn't hurt to ask here even though your agreement is lacking.

Thanks for explaining.
Who will interpret the contract, what is in it and what is not? Cops or the Court?
If the answer is the court, then cops can neither ask me to give her the key of the storage nor should arrest me if I do not give the key of the storage?
Am I wrong here?

Coutrs here not the cops.And you are correct thats all the cops can do..