I am being sued by a collection agency that had written off…

Customer Question
I am being sued...

I am being sued by a collection agency that had written off my debt in 2013. I had a zero balance after they written it off. Yes received no notice that they wanted to collect for an outstanding balance that was written off. Now they want a summary judgement for the past due amount and legal fees

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington State

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No just the collection agency

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just curious if they can collect after the written it off

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. Generally a business transfers a debt to a collections agency (and "writes it off"). I'm not sure how you would know though that a debt was "written off." The collection agency can sue for the outstanding debt as long as it is within the statute of limitations period.

The paperwork they provided showed that they had written it off and I had a zero balance in 2013. I wasn't given any notice I owed them any money.

What do you mean you weren't given notice you owed them money. How did you know you owed them money otherwise?

Sorry, I'm not following.

I was served papers in July saying they were taking me to court for an outstanding medical bill.

I guess it's not actually relevant though. Essentially it appears what happened is that when they weren't paid by you they transferred the debt to a collections agency, as is their right.