I'm trying to locate montana law concerning unwanted email…

Customer Question
I'm trying to locate...

I'm trying to locate montana law concerning unwanted email from another private party.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, I've contacted the local sheriff's office and made a report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Specifically which laws apply in this situation.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today

Generally, it is not against the law to send someone an email that does not want it. However, if the emails amount to harassment, then that is a different story. Under section 45-5-203, Montana law prohibits threats made to intimidate someone into doing or not doing something, or threats that make someone fear any retaliation for a lawful act. Also, section 45-5-221 says that It is illegal to cause someone “reasonable apprehension of bodily injury,” actual bodily injury, or damage to one’s property “with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy, or offend” because of a prejudice against the person’s race, creed, religion, color, national origin, etc. Thus, you may just need to get a protective order if you believe that you are being harassed in general from your local courthouse.

You may also want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.