I had an accident in 2009 and had no insurance. The

Customer Question
I had an accident...

I had an accident in 2009 and had no insurance. The suspension date showing is until 12/31/9999. It says SR 22 and Judgement Creditors Consent to allow License. form SR-84. What do I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Texas and have not consulted a local attorney. I was told by a NH attorney that I needed to file bankruptcy to get rid of it. I am in Texas and would at least like to get a occupational license.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

How do I find that information

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Let me check one more thing, back in a minute

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In Texas, judgments are good for 10 years and can be renewed for another 10 years, so the only way to get this judgment removed from your record would be bankruptcy. Until you get the judgment removed, Texas will not release the hold on your license. You can file for the SR-84 and ask the creditor to allow a restricted license, but if they refuse, bankruptcy is really your only option. If the creditor does not agree to allow the restricted license, you cannot get one until this judgment is paid off or you get it discharged in bankruptcy.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.