I have a niece who was charge with felony assault the

Customer Question
I have a niece...

I have a niece who was charge with felony assault the circumstances are he came to her house beat her up as he was leaving with a tv she pushed him had pair sissors in her hand some how she stab him the problem is she didnt call police she followed him to make sure he got to his moms house where she called ambj

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes and arrest warrant was placed on her after ambulance took him to hos he told them he was some place he shouldnt have been but after he was there detective came and he told them she stab him they took knifes out the home but no knife was used they set bond for 50.000 with 10%

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know what can i do I have women helping women involved trying to find a lawyer but we are middle class workers I told her i need her to be completly honest with the lawyer use her right to remain silent i dont know if self defense can be used in this because he was leaving with the tv and she could have called the police she has visual bruses but with the way law works i dont know where to go with this she single mom in school a felony will end her what can i do

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, a party can use self-defense when there is an imminent threat of harm against them. Also, a party has a right to remain silent throughout the entire criminal process. If a person is charged with a felony, then they are going to have a right to an attorney during the process as well. Therefore, one of the things that I would probably recommend is that your niece set up the time line such that she used the scissors only to defend herself against this imminent attack. In addition, if she's been charged with a crime that requires intent, then you could have her argue that she did not have the intent to stab him. She could simply have been reaching for the television and accidentally poked him with the scissors. If that is the case, then she did not have the intent to harm him. Also, it is very important that she not say anything that would incriminate her until she speak with a lawyer. What I mean by that is that if the police have him in custody and start asking her questions about what happened, then she needs to remain silent until she can speak with a lawyer. Finally, the lawyer should be there for all important legal proceedings. This means that she's allowed an attorney at her initial appearance, her arraignment ( which is where she can plead guilty or not guilty) and certainly trial.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.