We are being sued for not registering the home we live in as…

Customer Question
We are being sued...

We are being sued for not registering the home we live in as a rental home. It is not a rental home, we live in it. We went to court once, but instead of dismissing, they are taking us to court for trial.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know, I can't imagine it has.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. What can I answer for you? I've never ever heard of someone having to register their rental in ANY state.

Welcome to the city of Hutchinson, Kansas. They are suing us. Todd (My fiance and owner of the home) purchase our home from his father's estate after his father died. The city has him registered at living at his sister's house, which he hasn't since 2001 or 2003. They insist that his sister's home is his, and this home is a rental and they are threatening to have him arrest for a Class C Misdemeanor and fined.
No prosecutor is listed. How can I get the information they are using to drag us into court?

Do you have a copy of the notice to appear in court? There will be contact information on their for how to contact the court. You can call them and ask to speak with the prosecutor.

Hello. I wanted to follow up to make sure I answered your question. If you need any additional information please reply back.