Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question regarding life insurance policy. Texas. My

Customer Question
Hello Hi. I have a...
Hello Hi. I have a question regarding life insurance policy
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My husband was policy owner for my life insurance. He died in 2001 . But the company decided to continue taking payment out of my account which is exclusively mine , but when I call them they won't give any info as I am not the owner.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. My question is what should I do about it. And then , if they do not consider me the owner, shouldn't they pay the premium I paid all this time since his death.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
10/4/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Once the holder dies, the policy should remit payment and stop charging premiums. This needs to be done and if insurer refuses you may complain to the insurance department, to the insurer management, have a lawyer do so, and if needed can sue the insurer. I would have a timeline of events including any notice to insurer of the passing which should have prompted them to stop taking fees.

You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Tina, Lawyer